Thursday, January 27, 2011

The best day on the ranch!

One of the best things that can happen on the ranch (besides no one getting hurt when working the cows) is when the first calf of the season is born.  This is always such a joyous part of the year.  Seeing all the little calves running about, or watching it when it takes it's first breath and looks wonderingly through big black eyes at the world around it.  They are so precious. 

Today, Josh and I were out feeding cows when I spotting something dark on a hill a ways out (cows usually go off by themselves when they are calving).  It was hard to tell if it was a cow or a cow bush- cow bush being the name that Josh and Dad dubbed all the bushes in the pasture... when you are looking for cows, it sure is hard to tell a bush apart from a cow at a distance.  Typically we think it is a cow, head across pasture (bumping our heads and jostling our heads in the process), and find out that it isn't a cow.. just a cow bush.  lol!  
   Josh got the scope out and said that it was our cow, it was on our side of the fence, but he couldn't see a baby.  We headed out to see what was up (I always enjoy getting to watch the birth.. such a miracle. Just another one of God's wonders.).  Sure enough, a little baby was lying on the ground.  Mama cow ran to the feed truck, thankfully, so Josh and I didn't have any trouble with her- they can get protective over their babies, and they should be.... just not when we are messing with it.. ;-)   Once Mama cow was happily eating some cake feed, Josh and I caught the calf, tagged it, and weighed it.   Beautiful little heifer calf (girl) out of #610 cow, weighed 65 lbs.
   I got a couple pictures with the cell phone, so sorry they aren't the best of quality. 



Isn't she so cute?!?!  Of course, they are even cuter in person... ha-ha! :-)

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful day!  The sun is actually giving off warmth, even though the wind persists on blowing... *sigh*.

In Christ's Service,
Sarah

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, he (or she??) is really cute! =)
I wish we would see some sun- it has been really cloudy here for a lonnnggg time!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm SammyJo, and I really like your blog, so I'm following it now, if that's ok. :)
That calf is soooo cute!! Congragulations!! I pray that your family would have many more this year! :D
In Christ,
~SammyJo

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Samantha,
Yes, she was definitely cute. A very quiet little thing, too. :)
I hope the sun starts shining soon!!

SammyJo,
Hello! Thank you very much! I appreciate that you think my blog worthy of following. :)
Yes, they are detinitely adorable. I wish I had been able to get better pictures...
Thank you for the prayers! They are definitely appreciated. :)

In Christ's Service,
Sarah

Jessica said...

M'kay well I am coming to live on your ranch. That's all there is to it. Hehe...
I am a cowgirl at heart. =D

Brooke Whitaker said...

Aw, she's so cute! I wish so bad that we still had cows!

Love,
Brooke

Blythe said...

What a lovely heifer! So cute and precious! Only 1 month before my sisters goat gives brith(smy sisters guessing twin girls)!!
Watching and seeing baby animals grow up is so much fun!

Kathleen said...

Soooooo cute! I would say that I'm anxious for new life around here too, but then I will have to face milking again...There is nothing like new babies.

Lilac Bud Gal said...

May,
I would love that! lol! you should definitely come out for a visit sometime. :)

Brooke,
Thanks for the comment! Glad to see it! :) Yes, they are definitely cute! I didn't know you had cows once!! :)

Farm Girl,
Yes, I absolutely love baby calves! However, baby goats are the cutest! We don't have goats, but some friends do and I remember I just loved the "kids"!!! :) I hope you will post some pictures. :)

Mrs. M,
Thanks for the comment! Yup, our milk cow is due pretty soon (or we hope any way!).. so, milking once again!! :) I take it Abby doesn't care for milking? lol! Thanks for the comment! :)