Thursday, July 28, 2011

The King's Speech: Movie Review

I have never done a lot of movie reviews on here before for various reasons.  However, I thought I'd give it another go after watching The King's Speech.

Imagine standing in front of millions of people, all of which are looking up at you as a respected leader.  You step up to the microphone, which is also being broadcasted through the radio, and try to speak, yet hardly a word comes out......

When Albert, Duke of York, is suddenly thrust to the throne as King George VI, he has more to worry about than an impending world war; a slight speech impediment he has had since he was a child.

"Most of us know the feeling of having no choice but to perform a duty you feel you’re ill-equipped for; luckily for most of us, our tasks aren’t quite so high profile as those of a member of a royal family, and our failures don’t matter to a nation. In The King’s Speech, for Prince Albert, Duke of York, the pressure to overcome a prominent stammer is bad enough when performing princely duties. But, as our title suggests, his duties are about to intensify."  Excerpt from another review I found.


Doctor after doctor has examined him and tried to help him, but all to no avail.

Enter Lionel Logue.

An unlikely bond forms between the two as they work together to fix 'Bertie's' stammer.  The parts with these two were kind of humorous, in their own way.

I can't decide if I want to call them funny, emotional, or sweet. Maybe all three?  Logue does an amazing job to help Albert overcome his stammer.  His methods are very logical and straightforward.

I think this movie did such an amazing job on showing hard work, perseverance, and team work.

Elizabeth, Albert's wife, is quite a character.  She was an amazing help meet to Albert in so many ways. 

She was right there for him the whole time, backing him up, fighting his fights, sharing his sorrows, and just being there as a friend.  She was not pushy during the speech lessons, but instead just encouraged him to keep going.

The King's Speech had me in tears at several points.  His last speech in the movie was amazing (and definitely brought the tears rolling!), as well as the response from everyone afterwards.  Wow.
Colin Firth was an amazing actor.  I already liked him from A&E's Pride and Prejudice (played Mr. Darcy), but this definitely set him in tops for me.  To be able to do this kind of acting is just amazing.

Helena Bonham Carter played Elizabeth. I have never seen her on screen before, though any of you who have seen any of the Harry Potter movies will be familiar with her.

Lionel Logue was done by the amazing Geoffry Rush (who voiced Virgil the seagull in Finding Nemo).

It was especially fun to see Jennifer Ehle come into play as Logue's wife, Myrtle. 

In case any of you don't know, Ehle played opposite of Firth in Pride and Prejudice.   So, naturally, it was quite funny when, at one part, Myrtle is introduced to the King, she turns, in astonishment. (and we all ad-libbed for her) "Mr. Darcy? When did you become king??" haha!

This movie was rated R for language, but thankfully most of it was just during one scene, which you could mute. :-)

I think this movie is one I would watch again, and I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.  If you have seen it, please drop your thoughts in the comment box! I'd love to hear what you think.  And if you haven't seen it, but want to, go watch it, then let me know what you think. lol!

Go HERE for another great review!

*****

It looks like we might be getting some rain pretty soon!!! Pray hard!

In Christ's Service,
Sarah

11 comments:

Corey P. said...

Grea review, Sarah! I loved The King's Speech, too. One question, though: how on earth could you give this movie *only* 4 out of 5? :)

Oh, and happy (belated) birthday! :D

P.S. I wrote a review of this film awhile back. If you want, you can check it out here:

http://reelquickblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/the-kings-speech-2010/

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Thanks, Corey! I gave it a 4 out of 5 because of language. Other wise I would have given it 5 stars. So, maybe I should say 4 1/2 stars... haha!

Thanks! :)

I'll have to go check it out. Thanks for the link. You always do an amazing job on reviews. :)

Joshua said...

I echo what Corey said. Great review and great movie. I am there with you that I would have given it a 4/5 stars also only because of the language. But, the movie is no doubt in my mind a masterpiece only behind the Lord of the Rings. That is in my general opinion. :)

In Christ,
Joshua :)

Joshua said...

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday as well. How come you didn't post about it? :)

Cameron Mower said...

I thought it was a great movie as well. I was really interested in it, but daunted by the rating. I finally decided that ol' Firth wouldn't be caught in any movie that was not classy, and so I watched and was so glad I did. I am trying to get Marquette to watch it, but she doesn't want to ruin her perfect track record. I was so touched by the exchange between the King and Louge when the King learns that he is not actually a doctor. What a great man he must have been.

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Joshua,
I totally agree about it being a masterpiece! But LOTR will be hard to beat... in my general opinion. ;)
And thanks for the birthday hello. I plan on posting about it as soon as I get the pictures from my friends, who were slightly camera happy. ;) Thanks for your comment!

Hey Cameron!
Glad to see you stop by here. :) Yeah, we held off from watching it, too, after we saw the rating. So glad Becs finally just picked it up! lol! Tell Quette that she just needs to watch it. ;) haha!
Yes, the relationship between those two is really sweet. :)
Tell Marquette hi for me!!!

Mhuirnín said...

I've not seen the movie, but it sounds like a good one.

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was a strong, strong lady. During WWII, when she went to visit those whose houses had been destroyed in the Blitz, she would always dress up nicely with her pearls and everything. When asked why she did that, her response was that "If these people were coming to visit me, they would dress up in their best. I'm showing them the same respect." After Buckingham Palace was hit by bombs, her response was, "I'm glad we've been bombed. It makes me feel I can look the East End in the face."

Her wikipedia page is well worth a read. :)

Ellie said...

i sooooo want to see that!!!!! Thank you so much for the wonderful review dear!!! We are going to have to have a grown up movie night and watch it!! Love ya and can't wait to see it!!
MLE
~Ellie

Rightthinker said...

What a great movie review you have done!

I haven't seen many movies lately..perhaps this is one worth seeing!

God Bless!

Petra said...

Sorry I haven't commented in awhile; good job on the review. We'll try to find The King's Speech soon--you know I'm always looking for good movies. :)

Any rain yet? God will provide, dear friend.
Lots of love, Petra

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Seeking to Follow,
Thanks for the lil' history on Queen Elizabeth! Mom got on and was reading about her. She sounded like an amazing woman.

Ellie,
YES! We should totally do that... then I can bleep out the bad part... lol!

RightThinker,
Thank you!
If you do watch it, let me know what you think of it. I thought it was definitely a good one.

Petra,
Yes, you should definitely watch it. :)