Friday, May 11, 2012

Did You Know?....#1

Howdy folks!  As I am finishing up my school, I've suddenly found that I'm learning lots of very interesting things. Surely it isn't me going into some 'I'm gonna miss you' drama with my school??? Ha, that's preposterous!
  In any case, some of these little facts are rather fun, so I thought I'd start up a series of "Did You Know...". Actually, I might be stealing this from someone else... I'm thinking I saw it on a blog somewhere, but now I can't remember.....

Alright, so here is your DYK little fact.  Ever wonder where the 'word' "OK" ever came from?  Believe it or not, it actually came into being way back in the 1800s. It was the Presidential election again. Jackson had been in for two terms already, and the Democratic party was hoping to get Martin Van Buren in the seat. Well, people back then seemed to think it was a good idea to give everybody nicknames.  Van Buren's nickname was "Old Kinderhook". (starting to pick anything up yet?) Well, because the Democrats supported him, they set up "OK" parties to show their approval of Van Buren for president.  Now, we commonly use OK to give approval to something (or, to just say it... ;-)

So, there is your little fact for today. :-) Let me know if you like the idea of me doing this or not. Should I post weekly?

In Christ's Service,
Prof. Sarah ;-) hehe!

1 comment:

Petra said...

Hehe...that's funny to think whenever one says "OK" they're actually meaning that! I know how you feel. It seems I didn't really let anything sink in till it was too late. Now, I feel like I don't know much at all!

Btw, and you don't have to publish this if you don't want, just wanted to know if you got my last email. My email's been acting up so I just wanted to make sure. I sent it Tuesday, I think. : )

Well, glad to hear things are going ok for you! Love you, my friend!